Thursday, October 20, 2011

Keep Calm and Carry On

After a long and demanding week of homework, tests, cramming in interpreting hours, in class interpreting and the regular hustle and bustle of everyday life on campus; I woke up this morning feeling like I was in over my head.  I got dressed and went to interpret for our in-class interpreting exercises. Interpreting was as it always is: a big blur of sweat, blood and signs. Its possibly the only situation where I can not only forget how to sign properly, I also seem to forget how to speak English as well.  When I was done I grabbed some lunch but the build up of stress from the whole week made it hard to eat.  So I decided it was time for some much needed "me" time to decompress. I decided to take a mini 5 hour vacation from the world, and I drove out to Lewisburg.  I shed my stuffy interpreting clothes and threw on my jeans and a top.  I have to say that there is nothing more relaxing then driving west on 80 through the mountains blasting Iron & Wine.  It was such a relief itself.  I spent the day being an anonymous person in a small town relaxing. I sat in Barnes and Noble most of the time but it made such a difference in reliving my stress.  Cause lets face it, its a stressful life. Having only had the experience of being an interpreting student, I don't know if being a real interpreter is any more or any less stressful, but I'm certain it is. When I got back from my "vacation" I felt rested and relaxed. More importantly, ready to work again.  I don't know had I not done this if I would be as capable of moving forward as I am.  In the hustle and bustle of life its easy to put yourself last. But if you think about it, what good are you if you are unrested, stressed and strung out on coffee?? Giving yourself a few hours is not only better for you, it makes you more capable to deal with your life. That's my lesson learned for the day;)

Seeee yaaa;)
Gina

No comments:

Post a Comment