Monday, October 24, 2011

Is Ignorance Really Bliss?

The other day while I was in class, my advisor was telling us about a workshop she recently went to for interpreter trainers.  Each interpreter trainer was given a “wish list” to write down things they wished for.  She said that most of the people there put down “to have incoming student be more informed”.  Short of calling them ignorant, she went on to explain that her incoming freshmen are young and sheltered. Many of them have lived in the same place their whole lives and don’t really know much about what is happening outside their world.  As she was explaining this to us, it brought me back to a moment form the previous week.   I was in the lab, trying to cram in as many lab hours as my schedule would allow.  I interpreted a variety of videos on various topics.  Then I began interpreting a video about seizures.  Having had seizures my whole life it is a topic I am very familiar with.  I know the concepts and I know the signs because it is a part of my life.  I have to say, I have never had such an easy time of interpreting as this.  It was a breeze.   I threw out my concepts eloquently and I was very pleased with my performance.  I cleaned up my space and then I left to go to class. As I was walking I started to think about my interpreting, and how much easier my life would be if I simply knew everything.   If I literally knew everything there was to know in the world, I would eliminate all those “ugh oh, what does that mean” freak out moments when your interpreting.   Information is power. The more you know the easier your life as an interpreter can be.  Back to what my advisor was saying, it’s an interesting thought.   I never would have thought she would choose having her incoming freshman be more informed.  I would have thought it would students who work harder, or students who were smarter, or whatever you would imagine a teacher wishing for.  It’s a small detail that I never really thought in-depth about before.  So think about it! Food for thought!
-Gina

No comments:

Post a Comment